Civil Litigation Lawyer Red Deer - When a business enterprise experiences financial problems, one of the most essential things you can do is choose the correct group to help you navigate the process. Insolvencies, bankruptcies and business restructuring can be amongst the most difficult of experiences. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of experience in order to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to provide suggestion and representation, leading to strategic, timely and effective solutions.
We work with business enterprises within businesses like for example airline, automotive, communications, biomedical, construction, entertainment, financial services, funeral, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, marketing, mining, steel, retail, technology, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can help you with the difficulties of cross-border procedures administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive experience with domestic and multi-national business restructurings and reorganizations, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in Canada and the United States have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; nevertheless, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require individuals involved in cross-border proceedings to be well-informed about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised stakeholders and intermediaries within many of the largest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Winding-Up and Restructuring Act, and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA").
Access to the needed professionals could be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results which are positive throughout business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the knowledge of our skillful members across our international companies in the many legal fields handling business reorganizations. Our firm has experts in mergers and acquisitions, banking and securitizations, labour and employment, public and private equity, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency needing advocacy before appellate and trial courts, our team provides skilled litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged companies on the alternatives and options of restructuring, which consists of the directing and creating of formal restructuring proceedings under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of private and public corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We can assist the many secured creditors in the insolvency procedures, concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests.
6. We can help trustees through bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings. Furthermore, we can make proposals under the BIA, including bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. We advise equipment leasers and vendors, contracting third parties, suppliers, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings and in relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors.
8. We can help the purchasers who are businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency procedures.
10. In the context of insolvency, business restructuring and bankruptcy cases, we provide counsel on various litigation problems.
11.We can prosecute and defend in litigating actions and preference actions. These may be for the fraudulent conveyance of assets or the acquiring of urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf